Pages

06 September 2010

a summertime project


In between Summer and Fall semesters, I did a few projects
 around the house.

In our kitchen, I took boring white "cubes" and turned them into this...


It was really easy... I haven't sat down to do a crafty project in a long time, so I had fun with it!

In case you were wondering how I did it, here is a crafty step-by-step...

1.  pick your fabric.
We got ours at Ikea.. they have so many really cool fabric designs for cheap.
Plus, they sell it by the 1/4 yard (if you wish).
I only bough 1/4 yard of each pattern.

2. trace & cut
Choose the part of the fabric you want to show. Trace around the box with a pencil. This does NOT have to be perfect.  You can always trim the edges off when you are done.


4. cut out a section for the brackets
Fit the fabric on the cube the way you want it, and make tiny cuts for the hanging brackets.  This is a little tricky.  Make sure you don't cut into the back part that is going to show!


5. glue your fabric on
I just used tacky glue.. I'm sure you could use a hot glue gun or another time of strong(ish) glue.


6. cut off the excess fabric.

...and you're done!
We have had these little cubes around for a while.  I think they were originally in my room in jr. high/highschool.  They fit perfectly on this small wall space, but they definitely needed a little something to spice them up!

before


after


p.s. you can find the blank cubes at most craft or home decor stores!

5 comments: