Pages

02 May 2011

the BIG apple

Well, the day has finally come. I am officially a.....


!!!!

I absolutely love it here. My first week has been incredible! I left around midnight last Monday so I got into the city early Tuesday morning. I hopped in a cab and headed to my new home for the next seven weeks. I am living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan! It is still a little surreal to me! It is so fun because I lived here as a little girl when my Dad was in law school. I am living near Columbia University which has always held a very special place in my heart. Just being here is a dream come true!


[this is the view from my dorm room of Riverside Park and the Hudson River... gorgeous!]

I started my advertising internship at Y&R New York on Wednesday. The office is located downtown on Madison Avenue! It is such a fun area to work in. There is an amazing energy and a hustle and bustle where I work. I just love waking up and going to my internship every day! 
I am enjoying every second of it.

I just want to see and do as much as I can in the short time I am living here!
I have been hanging out with a really fun group who want to explore and see the city! We are having an absolute blast. 

So far our activities have included:

Browsing at Bloomingdale's, H&M + Zara
Dinner at the delicious Patsy's
a late night movie... Water for Elephants
Buying snacks and essentials at Trader Joe's and Duane Reade [my favorite]
trying out the neighborhood pizza and pasta joints
Lunch in Bryant park
Shopping in SoHo
NUTS FOR NUTS
Exploring new neighborhoods like Hell's Kitchen, 
the Upper East Side and Chelsea
Hale and Hearty [my favorite lunch stop]
avoiding scary homeless/drunk people on every corner [haha]
Friday night dinner with the crew at Chelsea Market


Walking through Times Square at night



[Empire State Building]

lots and lots [and lots] of riding the subway
AND learning how to navigate the system by heart


walking to church in Harlem



[me and Heidi]


[friends!]

and
Spending a fabulous Sunday afternoon in Central Park






I just love this city! I can't believe it has already been a week since I arrived... this internship is going to fly by! I will say the hardest part is that I miss Ryan like cray-zy! Although I'm having a blast, there is a constant ache in my stomach because I just miss that boy. He is coming out at the end of the month and I am already planning all the adventures we will have together. He is being such a trooper at home working and getting ready to start the next semester of school! [Also being very bored without me...]

Here's to more fun in the greatest city on earth!

6 comments:

  1. So jealous! This look absolutely amazing. Congrats on the internship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a blast! live it up! (sounds like you are!) you are the cutest shelby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a post! Sounds so fun! Keep the updates coming & keep your eyes peeled for a handsome Merrill Missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoops this is Jenna, I must be logged in on something of Chase's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!! Can't wait to get out there with you! Love you cute girl!

    ReplyDelete