Pages

15 May 2011

work & play

My time in New York just keeps getting better and better. I finally feel settled here and everything is going smoothly. I know my way around town and I can get wherever I need to go with ease. I actually understand the subway system and how to get just about anywhere. Thank goodness I have an iPhone with a GPS. I have become the go-to navigator most of the time.. What would we do without modern technology? Work is going really great. I am feeling very comfortable with the account I am working on. I just love it here and time is truly flying by. Time flies when you're having fun, as they say. I don't think Ryan feels the same way unfortunately... but he is hanging in there! We are missing each other like crazy and counting down the days until he comes out to visit (16 more!).

On Friday a big group of us went to the New York Mets game. I absolutely love professional baseball games. I definitely got this love from my mama... she is the biggest baseball fan I know. I have learned how fun it is to visit different ball parks and experience what each has to offer. We had a blast! Tickets were only $12 for a seat wayyyyyy up in the nosebleeds. We rode the crowded subway out to Queens with tons of excited and dedicated fans. When we got there I thought it was so nice to see the sky so clearly in all directions. We all felt a sense of freedom after being crowded between buildings for so long. We snacked on our favorite ball park food and cheered on the Mets!





Saturday night a group of us met up for dinner and a little culture! We hit up a really cool outdoor exhibit all having to do with light and projection. It was really interesting and totally free. There are so many amazing and free things to do in this city. Luckily we are all pretty poor so we love to take advantage of anything that won't cost a thing.




Celebrity sightings have been a very fun part of my New York experience as well. Thursday night we were walking through SoHo and realized Ryan Gosling (from The Notebook) was walking with us for a few blocks. He was taking an evening stroll with his friends and acting like it was no big deal. Oh, all the while playing a ukulele. We tried to act like cool New Yorkers who didn't really care, but then we started snapping pictures and became obvious celeb-stalkers.


I just can't get enough of all the street performances New York City has to offer. I swear there is always someone performing something... Always good for cheap entertainment. On the train ride home some thirteen year old boys entertained us with pretty sweet dance performance, and you can always count on quite a few musicians during the morning commute.

Sundays are probably my favorite days here. After church our group of friends love to meet in Central Park to rest and people watch. It is so fun to have great conversations, laugh and relax a little before the work week starts again. I don't know what I would do without the park!




I am still loving the food, crazy energy, subway, nasty smells, humidity, tired feet, fashion, crappy mattress, expensive prices, glitz & glamor of this city... I wouldn't trade being here for the world!

2 comments:

  1. Jelly bean!!!! (jealous) did you remember that Ryan gosling is my numero UNO celeb crush!!!!!!! We have to go see his movie crazy stupid love for a date night this summer, it comes out on aarons bday:) I'm so glad you are loving your time in new York, love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! Nothing better then some good kettle corn :)

    ReplyDelete